The most well-known waterfront communities are Punta Gorda Isles and Burnt Store Isles. These offer city water, city sewer and city-maintained seawalls. There are community restrictions which help maintain the appearance of the communities. Both Punta Gorda and Burnt Store Isles offer private golf courses, however the majority of lots are on canals.
- Punta Gorda Isles has 50 miles of canals and 100 miles of seawall.
- Burnt Store Isles is smaller with 15 miles of seawalls and boating access through a non-working lock. The doors of the lock have been removed and the width of the lock is approximately 17 feet. Canal depths range an average of 10-12 feet.
- The Port Charlotte area also has canal homes with Gulf-access but for the most part the area is non-deed restricted. The seawalls are not city maintained and much of the community is in a pending sewer area.
Other communities that are off the water which have restrictions in place, and are offer public water and sewer are :
- Deep Creek – This development has an 18 hole golf course and was designed to have a network of park green belts, as well as 7 freshwater lakes. There is a wide range of homesites and homes available.
- Burnt Store Meadows – Located south of Punta Gorda this community features a neighborhood of mostly newer homes with quick access to Ft Myers and Cape Coral.
- Burnt Store Village – A growing community locate off of Burnt Store Rd., midway to Cape Coral.This neighborhood has enjoyed a burst of new construction and growth.
- Burnt Store Lakes – Developed with the lake-front homestead in mind this is a community that has enjoyed great popularity for those who love the water. An abundance of wild-life as well as reflections of beautiful sunsets is the draw here.
- Burnt Store Marina – A large development with a resort style flair, a golf course and a marina that offers over 500 boat slips. Harbor view condos, villas and single family homes are all featured here. Bring your boat and stop at the restaurant or the Ship’s Store!
- Seminole Lakes – A private gated community with an executive golf course as well as a beautiful clubhouse that offers maintenance free living in single-family homes.
- Riverwood – A beautiful gated development that features a community center and a championship golf course that is one of the most heautiful in the country. Gorgeous landscaping with emphasis on nature, this neighborhood has something for everyone, from riverfront condos to estate homes.
- Heritage Lake Park, Heritage Oaks – Affordable gated communities that offer an activity center with pools as well as a maintenance free lifestyle.